Battle of Fair Oaks (Seven Pines)


This Site:

Civil War

Civil War Overview

Civil War 1861

Civil War 1862

Civil War 1863

Civil War 1864

Civil War 1865

Civil War Battles

Confederate Generals

Union Generals

Confederate History

Robert E. Lee

Civil War Medicine

Lincoln Assassination


Site Search

Civil War Links


Civil War Art

Revolutionary War

Mexican War

Republic of Texas


Winslow Homer

Thomas Nast

Mathew Brady

Western Art

Civil War Gifts

Robert E. Lee Portrait

Civil War Battles


Up | The Battle of Fort Sumter | Battle of Rich Mountain | First Battle of Bull Run | Second Battle of Bull Run | Battle of the Monitor and Merrimac | Battle of Shiloh | Battle of New Orleans | Battle of Fair Oaks (Seven Pines) | Harper's Ferry | Battle of Antietam | Battle of Fredericksburg | Battle of Chancellorsville | Siege of Vicksburg | Battle of Gettysburg | Battle of Chickamauga | Battle of Chattanooga | Battle of the Wilderness | The Battle of Spotsylvania | The Battle of Cold Harbor | Siege of Petersburg | Battle of Atlanta | Sherman's March to the Sea | The Richmond Campaign

The Battle of Fair Oaks

(The Seven Pines Battle)

Fair Oaks, (or Seven Pines), BATTLE AT: May, 1862, Gen. Fitz-John Porter was sent by General MeClellan with a considerable force to keep the way open for McDowell's army to join him, which he persistently demanded, in order to venture on a battle for Richmond. Porter had some sharp skirmishes near Hanover Courthouse, and cut all railway connections with Richmond, excepting that from Fredericksburg.

Scene of the Battle of Fair Oaks

Meanwhile General McClellan telegraphed to the Secretary of War that Washington was in no danger, and that it was the duty and policy of the government to send him " all the well-drilled troops available." When these raids on the Confederate communications had been effected, Porter rejoined the main army on the Chickahominy, and McClellan telegraphed again to the Secretary, " I will do all that quick movements can accomplish, but you must send me all the troops you can, and leave me full latitude as to choice of commanders." Three days afterwards General Johnston, perceiving McClellan's apparent timidity, and the real peril of the National army, then divided by the Chickahominy, marched boldly out of his entrenchments and fell with great vigor upon the National advance, under Gen. Silas Casey, lying upon each side of the road to Williamsburg, half a mile beyond a point known as the Seven Pines, and 6 miles from Richmond. General Couch's division was at Seven Pines, his right resting at Fair Oaks Station. Kearny's division of Heintzelman's corps was near Savage's Station, and Hooker's division of the latter corps was guarding the approaches to the White Oak Swamp. General Longstreet led the Confederate advance, and fell suddenly upon Casey at a little past noon, May 31, when a most sanguinary battle ensued.

Very soon the Confederates gained a position on Casey's flanks, when they were driven back to the woods by a spirited bayonet charge by Pennsylvania, New York, and Maine troops, led by General Naglee. Out of the woods immediately the Confederates swarmed in great numbers, and the battle raged more fiercely than ever. The Nationals fell back to the second line, with a loss of six guns and many men; yet, notwithstanding the overwhelming numbers of the Confederates, and exposed to sharp enfilading fires, Casey's men brought off fully three-fourths of their artillery. Keyes sent troops to aid Casey, but they could not withstand the pressure, and the whole body of Nationals were pushed back to Fair Oaks Station, on the Richmond and York Railway. Reinforcements were sent by Heintzelman and Kearny, but these were met why fresh Confederates, and the victory seemed about to be given to the latter, when General Sumner appeared with the divisions of Sedgwick and Richardson. Sumner had seen the peril, and, without waiting for orders from McClellan, had moved rapidly to the scene of action in time to check the Confederate advance. The battle continued to rage fiercely. General Johnston was severely wounded, and borne from the field; and early in the evening a bayonet charge by the Nationals broke the Confederate line and it fell back in confusion. The fighting then ceased for the night, but was resumed in the morning, June 1, when General Hooker and his troops took a conspicuous part in the struggle, which lasted several hours. Finally the Confederates, foiled, withdrew to Richmond, and the Nationals remained masters of the field of Fair Oaks, or Seven Pines. The losses in this battle were about the same on both sides - 7,000 men each. It was nearly one-half of both combatants, for not more than 15,000 men on each side were engaged. In this battle Gen. 0. O. Howard lost his right arm. Casey's division, that withstood the first shock of the battle, lost one-third of its number.

From Harper's Brother's American History Volume III.



site stats


Site Copyright 2003-2018 Son of the South. For Questions or comments about this collection,


privacy policy

Are you Scared and Confused? Read My Snake Story, a story of hope and encouragement, to help you face your fears.