Chapter VIII


This Site:

Civil War

Civil War Overview

Civil War 1861

Civil War 1862

Civil War 1863

Civil War 1864

Civil War 1865

Civil War Battles

Confederate Generals

Union Generals

Confederate History

Robert E. Lee

Civil War Medicine

Lincoln Assassination


Site Search

Civil War Links


Civil War Art

Revolutionary War

Mexican War

Republic of Texas


Winslow Homer

Thomas Nast

Mathew Brady

Western Art

Civil War Gifts

Robert E. Lee Portrait

  Up | Chapter I | Chapter II | Chapter III | Chapter IV | Chapter V | Chapter VI | Chapter VII | Chapter VIII | Chapter IX | Chapter X | Chapter XI | Chapter XII | Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV | Chapter XV | Chapter XVI | Chapter XVII | Chapter XVIII | Chapter XVIV | Chapter XX | Chapter XXI | Chapter XXII | Chapter XXIII | Chapter XXIV

Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee
by Captain Robert E. Lee, His Son

Chapter VIII
The Surrender

Fort Fisher captured--Lee made Commander-in-Chief--Battle of Five
Forks--The General's farewell to his men--His reception in Richmond
after the surrender--President Davis hears the news--Lee's visitors--
His son Robert turns farmer

The year 1865 had now commenced.  The strength of that thin gray line,
drawn out to less than one thousand men to the mile, which had repulsed
every attempt of the enemy to break through it, was daily becoming
less.  The capture of Fort Fisher, our last open port, January 15th,
cut off all supplies and munitions from the outside world.  Sherman
had reached Savannah in December, from which point he was ready to
unite with Grant at any time.  From General Lee's letters, official
and private, one gets a clear view of the desperateness of his position.
He had been made commander-in-chief of all the military forces in the
Confederate States on February 6th.  In his order issued on accepting
this command he says:

"...Deeply impressed with the difficulties and responsibilities of
the position, and humbly invoking the guidance of Almighty God, I rely
for success upon the courage and fortitude of the army, sustained by
the patriotism and firmness of the people, confident that their united
efforts under the blessing of Heaven will secure peace and

General Beauregard, who had so ably defended Petersburg when it was
first attacked, and who had assisted so materially in its subsequent
defense, had been sent to gather troops to try to check Sherman's
advance through the Carolinas.  But Beauregard's health was now very
bad, and it was feared he would have to abandon the field.  In a
letter to the Secretary of War, dated February 21, 1865, my father

"...In the event of the necessity of abandoning our position on James
River, I shall endeavour to unite the corps of the army about
Burkeville [junction of Southside and Danville Railroad], so as to
retain communication with the North and South as long as practicable,
and also with the West, I should think Lynchburg, or some point west,
the most advantageous place to which to remove stores from Richmond.
This, however, is a most difficult point at this time to decide, and
the place may have to be changed by circumstances.  It was my intention
in my former letter to apply for General Joseph E. Johnston, that I
might assign him to duty, should circumstances permit.  I have had
no official report of the condition of General Beauregard's health.
It is stated from many sources to be bad.  If he should break down
entirely, it might be fatal.  In that event, I should have no one
with whom to supply his place.  I therefore respectfully request General
Johnston may be ordered to report to me, and that I may be informed
where he is."

In a letter to the Secretary of War, written the next day:

"...But you may expect Sheridan to move up the Valley, and Stoneman
from Knoxville, as Sherman draws near Roanoke.  What then will become
of those sections of the country?  I know of no other troops that
could be given to Beauregard.  Bragg will be forced back by Schofield,
I fear, and, until I abandon James River, nothing can be sent from
this army.  Grant, I think, is now preparing to draw out by his left
with the intent of enveloping me.  He may wait till his other columns
approach nearer, or he may be preparing to anticipate my withdrawal.
I cannot tell yet....  Everything of value should be removed from
Richmond.  It is of the first importance to save all powder.  The
cavalry and artillery of the army are still scattered for want of
provender, and our supply and ammunition trains, which out to be
with the army in case of sudden movement, are absent collecting
provisions and forage--some in western Virginia and some in North
Carolina.  You will see to what straits we are reduced; but I trust
to work out."

On the same day, in a letter to my mother, he writes:

"...After sending my note this morning, I received from the express
office a back of socks.  You will have to send down your offerings as
soon as you can, and bring your work to a close, for I think General
Grant will move against us soon--within a week, if nothing prevents--
and no man can tell what may be the result; but trusting to a merciful
God, who does not always give the battle to the strong, I pray we may
not be overwhelmed.  I shall, however, endeavour to do my duty and
fight to the last.  Should it be necessary to abandon our position
to prevent being surrounded, what will you do?  You must consider the
question, and make up your mind.  It is a fearful condition, and we
must rely for guidance and protection upon a kind Providence...."

About this time, I saw my father for the last time until after the
surrender.  We had been ordered up to the army from our camp nearly
forty miles away, reaching the vicinity of Petersburg the morning of
the attack of General Gordon on Fort Stedman, on March 25th.  My
brother and I had  ridden ahead of the division to report its presence,
when we met the General riding Traveller, almost alone, back from that
part of the lines opposite the fort.  Since then I have often recalled
the sadness of his face, its careworn expression.  When he caught
sight of his two sons, a bright smile at once lit up his countenance,
and he showed very plainly his pleasure at seeing us.  He thanked my
brother for responding so promptly to his call upon him, and regretted
that events had so shaped themselves that the division would not then
be needed, as he had hoped it would be.

No good results followed Gordon's gallant attack.  His supports did
not come up a the proper time, and our losses were very heavy, mostly
prisoners.  Two days after this, Sheridan, with ten thousand mounted
men, joined Grant, having marched from the Valley of Virginia via
Staunton and Charlottesville.  On the 28th, everything being ready,
General Grant commenced to turn our right, and having more than three
men to our one, he had no difficult task.  On that very day my father
wrote to my mother:

"...I have received your note with a bag of socks.  I return the bag
and receipt.  The count is all right this time.  I have put in the
bag General Scott's autobiography, which I thought you might like
to read.  The General, of course, stands out prominently, and does
not hide his light under a bushel, but he appears the bold, sagacious,
truthful man that he is.  I inclose a note from little Agnes.  I shall
be very glad to see her to-morrow, but cannot recommend pleasure
trips now...."

On April 1st the Battle of Five Forks was fought, where about fifty
thousand infantry and cavalry--more men than were in our entire army--
attacked our extreme right and turned it, so that, to save our
communications, we had to abandon our lines at Petersburg, giving up
that city and Richmond.  Form that time to April 9th the Army of
Northern Virginia struggled to get back to some position where it
could concentrate its forces and make a stand; but the whole world
knows of that six-days' retreat.  I shall not attempt to describe it
in detail--indeed, I could not if I would, for I was not present all
the time--but will quote from those who have made it a study and who
are far better fitted to record it than I am.  General Early, in his
address at Lexington, Virginia, January 19, 1872--General Lee's
birthday--eloquently and briefly describes these six days as follows:

"...The retreat from the lines of Richmond and Petersburg began in the
early days of April, and the remnant of the Army of Northern Virginia
fell back, more than one hundred miles, before its overpowering
antagonists, repeatedly presenting front to the latter and giving
battle so as to check his progress.  Finally, from mere exhaustion,
less than eight thousand men with arms in their hands, of the noblest
army that ever fought 'in the tide of time,' were surrendered at
Appomattox to an army of 150,000 men; the sword of Robert E. Lee,
without a blemish on it, was sheathed forever; and the flag, to which
he had added such luster, was furled, to be, henceforth, embalmed
in the affectionate remembrance of those who remained faithful during
all our trials, and will do so to the end."

Colonel Archer Anderson, in his address at the unveiling of the Lee
monument in Richmond, Virginia, May 29, 1890, speaking of the siege
of Petersburg and of the surrender, utters these noble words:

"...Of the siege of Petersburg, I have only time to say that in it
for nine months the Confederate commander displayed every art by which
genius and courage can make good the lack of numbers and resources.
But the increasing misfortunes of the Confederate arms on other theatres
of the war gradually cut off the supply of men and means.  The Army
of Northern Virginia ceased to be recruited, it ceased to be adequately
fed.  It lived for months on less than one-third rations.  It was
demoralised, not by the enemy in its front, but by the enemy in Georgia
and the Carolinas.  It dwindled to 35,000 men, holding a front of
thirty-five miles; but over the enemy it still cast the shadow of its
great name.  Again and again, by a bold offensive, it arrested the
Federal movement to fasten on its communications.  At last, an
irresistible concentration of forces broke through its long thin line
of battle.  Petersburg had to be abandoned.  Richmond was evacuated.
Trains bearing supplies were intercepted, and a starving army, harassed
for seven days by incessant attacks on rear and flank, found itself
completely hemmed in by overwhelming masses.  Nothing remained to it
but its stainless honour, its unbroken courage.  In those last solemn
scenes, when strong men, losing all self-control, broke down and sobbed
like children, Lee stood forth as great as in the days of victory and
triumph.  No disaster crushed his spirit, no extremity of danger
ruffled his bearing.  In the agony of dissolution now invading that
proud army, which for four years had wrested victory from every peril,
in that blackness of utter darkness, he preserved the serene lucidity
of his mind.  He looked the stubborn facts calmly in the face, and
when no military resource remained, when he recognised the impossibility
of making another march or fighting another battle, he bowed his head
in submission to that Power which makes and unmakes nations.  The
surrender of the fragments of the Army of Northern Virginia closed
the imperishable record of his military life...."

From the London "Standard," at the time of his last illness, I quote
these words relative to this retreat:

"When the Army of Northern Virginia marched out of the lines around
Petersburg and Richmond, it still numbered some twenty-six thousand
men.  After a retreat of six days, in the face of an overwhelming
enemy, with a crushing artillery--a retreat impeded by constant fighting
and harassed by countless hordes of cavalry--eight thousand were given
up by the capitulation at Appomattox Court House.  Brilliant as were
General Lee's earlier triumphs, we believe that he gave higher proofs
of genius in his last campaign, and that hardly any of his victories
were so honourable to himself and his army as that of his six-days'

Swinton, in his "History of the Army of the Potomac," after justly
praising its deeds, thus speaks of its great opponent, the Army of
Northern Virginia:

"Nor can there fail to arise the image of that other army that was
the adversary of the Army of the Potomac, and--who that once looked
upon it can ever forget it?--that array of tattered uniforms and
bright muskets--that body of incomparable infantry, the Army of Northern
Virginia, which, for four years, carried the revolt on its bayonets,
opposing a constant front to the mighty concentration of power brought
against it; which, receiving terrible blows, did not fail to give the
like, and which, vital in all its parts, died only with its

General Long, in speaking of its hardships and struggles during the
retreat, thus describes how the army looked up to their commander and
trusted him to bring them through all their troubles:

"General Lee had never appeared more grandly heroic than on this
occasion.  All eyes were raised to him for a deliverance which no
human seemed able to give.  He alone was expected to provide food for
the starving army and rescue it from the attacks of a powerful and
eager enemy.  Under the accumulation of difficulties, his courage
seemed to expand, and wherever he appeared his presence inspired
the weak and weary with renewed energy to continue the toilsome march.
During these trying scenes his countenance wore its habitual calm,
grave expression.  Those who watched his face to catch a glimpse of
what was passing in his mind could gather thence no trace of his
inner sentiments."

No one can tell what he suffered.  He did in all things what he
considered right.  Self he absolutely abandoned.  As he said, so he
believed, that "human virtue should equal human calamity."  A day or
two before the surrender, he said to General Pendleton:

"...I have never believed we could, against the gigantic combination
for our subjugation, make good in the long run our independence unless
foreign powers should, directly or indirectly, assist us....  But such
considerations really made with me no difference.  We had, I was
satisfied, sacred principles to maintain and rights to defend, for
which we were in duty bound to do our best, even if we perished in
the endeavour."

After his last attempt was made with Gordon and Fitz Lee to break
through the lines of the enemy in the early morning of the 9th, and
Colonel Veneble informed him that it was not possible, he said:

"Then there is nothing left me but to go and see General Grant."
When some one near him, hearing this, said:

"Oh, General, what will history say of the surrender of the army in
the field?" he replied:

"Yes, I know they will say hard things of us; they will not understand
how we were overwhelmed by numbers; but that is not the question,
Colonel; the question is, is it right to surrender this army?  If it
is right, then I will take all the responsibility."

There had been some correspondence with Grant just before the
conversation with General Pendleton.  After Gordon's attack failed, a
flag of truce was sent out, and, about eleven o'clock, General Lee
went to meet General Grant.  The terms of surrender were agreed upon,
and then General Lee called attention to the pressing needs of his
men.  He said:

"I have a thousand or more of your men and officers, whom we have
required to march along with us for several days.  I shall be glad to
send them to your lines as soon as it can be arranged, for I have no
provisions for them.  My own men have been living for the last few
days principally upon parched cord, and we are badly in need of both
rations and forage."

Grant said he would at once send him 25,000 rations.  General Lee told
him that amount would be ample and a great relief.  He then rode back
to his troops.  The rations issued then to our army were the supplies
destined for us but captured at Amelia Court House.  Had they reached
us in time, they would have given the half-starved troops that were
left strength enough to make a further struggle.  General Long
graphically pictures the last scenes:

"It is impossible to describe the anguish of the troops when it was
known that the surrender of the army was inevitable.  Of all their
trials, this was the greatest and hardest to endure.  There was no
consciousness of shame; each heart could boast with honest pride that
its duty had been done to the end, and that still unsullied remained
its honour.  When, after this interview with General Grant, General
Lee again appeared, a shout of welcome instinctively went up from the
army.  But instantly recollecting the sad occasion that brought him
before them, their shouts sank into silence, every hat was raised,
and the bronzed faces of thousands of grim warriors were bathed in
tears.  As he rode slowly along the lines, hundreds of his devoted
veterans pressed around the noble chief, trying to take his hand,
touch his person, or even lay their hands upon his horse, thus
exhibiting for him their great affection.  The General then with head
bare, and tears flowing freely down his manly cheeks, bade adieu to
the army."

In a few words:  "Men, we have fought through the war together; I
have done my best for you; my heart is too full to say more," he bade
them good-bye and told them to return to their homes and become good
citizens.  The next day he issued his farewell address, the last
order published to the army:

          "Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, April 10, 1865.

"After four years' of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage
and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to
yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.  I need not tell the
survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast
to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust
of them; but, feeling that valour and devotion could accomplish nothing
that could compensate for the loss that would have attended the
continuation of the contest, I have determined to avoid the useless
sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their
countrymen.  By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return
to their homes and remain there until exchanged.  You will take with
you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty
faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will
extend to you his blessing and protection.  With an increasing
admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a
grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself,
I bid you an affectionate farewell.

                           "R. E. Lee, General."

General Long says that General Meade called on General Lee on the 10th,
and in the course of conversation remarked:

"Now that the war may be considered over, I hope you will not deem it
improper for me to ask, for my personal information, the strength of
your army during the operations around Richmond and Petersburg."
General Lee replied:

"At no time did my force exceed 35,000 men; often it was less."  With
a look of surprise, Meade answered:

"General, you amaze me; we always estimated your force at about seventy
thousand men."

General de Chanal, a French officer, who was present, states that
General Lee, who had been an associate of Meade's in the engineers in
the "old army," said to him pleasantly:

"Meade, years are telling on you; your hair is getting quite gray."

"Ah, General Lee," was Meade's prompt reply, "it is not the work of
years; YOU are responsible for my gray hairs!"

"Three days after the surrender," says Long, "the Army of Northern
Virginia had dispersed in every direction, and three weeks later the
veterans of a hundred battles had exchanged the musket and the sword
for the implements of husbandry.  It is worthy of remark that never
before was there an army disbanded with less disorder.  Thousands of
soldiers were set adrift on the world without a penny in their pockets
to enable them to reach their homes.  Yet none of the scenes of riot
that often follow the disbanding of armies marked their course."

A day or two after the surrender, General Lee started for Richmond,
riding Traveller, who had carried him so well all through the war.
He was accompanied by some of his staff.  On the way, he stopped at
the house of his eldest brother, Charles Carter Lee, who lived on the
Upper James in Powhatan County.  He spent the evening in talking with
his brother, but when bedtime came, though begged by his host to take
the room and bed prepared for him, he insisted on going to his old
tent, pitched by the roadside, and passed the night in the quarters
he was accustomed to.  On April 15th he arrived in Richmond.  The
people there soon recognised him; men, women, and children crowded
around him, cheering and waving hats and handkerchiefs.  It was more
like the welcome to a conqueror than to a defeated prisoner on parole.
He raised his hat in response to their greetings, and rode quietly to
his home on Franklin Street, where my mother and sisters were anxiously
awaiting him.  Thus he returned to that private family life for which
he had always longed, and become what he always desired to be--a
peaceful citizen in a peaceful land.

In attempting to describe these last days of the Army of Northern
Virginia, I have quoted largely from Long, Jones, Taylor, and Fitz
Lee, all of whom have given more or less full accounts of the movements
of both armies.

It so happened that shortly after we left our lines, April 2d or 3d,
in one of the innumerable contests, my horse was shot, and in getting
him and myself off the field, having no choice of routes, the pursuing
Federal cavalry intervened between men and the rest of our command,
so I had to make my way around the head of Sheridan's advance squadrons
before I could rejoin our forces.  This I did not succeed in
accomplishing until April 9th, the day of the surrender, for my wounded
horse had to be left with a farmer, who kindly gave me one in exchange,
saying I could send him back when I was able, or, if I was prevented,
that I could keep him and he would replace him with mine when he got

As I was riding toward Appomattox on the 9th, I met a body of our
cavalry with General T. H. Rosser at the head.  He told me that General
Lee and his army had surrendered, and that this force had made its way
out, and was marching back to Lynchburg, expecting thence to reach
General Johnston's army.  To say that I was surprised does not express
my feelings.  I had never heard the word "surrender" mentioned, nor
even a suggested, in connection with our general or our army.  I could
not believe it, and did not until I was positively assured by all my
friends who were with Rosser's column that it was absolutely so.  Very
sadly I turned back and went to Lynchburg along with them.  There I
found some wagons from our headquarters which had been sent back,
and with them the horses and servants of the staff.  These I got
together, not believing for an instant that our struggle was over, and,
with several officers from our command and others, we made our way
to Greensboro, North Carolina.  There I found Mr. Davis and his cabinet
and representatives of the Confederate departments from Richmond.
There was a great diversity of opinion amongst all present as to what
we should do.  After waiting a couple of days, looking over the
situation from every point of view, consulting with my uncle, Commodore
S. S. Lee, of the Confederate Navy, and with many others, old friends
of my father and staunch adherents of the Southern cause, it was
determined to go back to Virginia to get our paroles, go home, and
go to work.

While at Greensboro I went to see President Davis, just before he
proceeded on his way further south.  He was calm and dignified, and,
in his conversation with several officers of rank who were there,
seemed to think, and so expressed himself, that our cause was not lost,
though sorely stricken, and that we could rally our forces west of
the Mississippi and make good our fight.  While I was in the room,
Mr. Davis received the first official communication from General Lee
of his surrender.  Colonel John Taylor Woods, his aide-de-camp, had
taken me in to see the President, and he and I were standing by him
when the despatch from General Lee was brought to him.  After reading
it, he handed it without comment to us; then, turning away, he silently
wept bitter tears.  He seemed quite broken at the moment by this
tangible evidence of the loss of his army and the misfortune of its
general.  All of us, respecting his great grief, silently withdrew,
leaving him with Colonel Wood.  I never saw him again.

I started for Richmond, accompanied by several companions, with the
servants and horses belonging to our headquarters.  These I had brought
down with me from Lynchburg, where I had found them after the surrender.
After two week of marching and resting, I arrived in Richmond and
found my father there, in the house on Franklin Street, now the rooms
of the "Virginia Historical Society," and also my mother, brother,
and sisters.  They were all much relieved at my reappearance.

As well as I can recall my father at this time, he appeared to be very
well physically, though he looked older, grayer, more quiet and
reserved.  He seemed very tired, and was always glad to talk of any
other subject than that of the war or anything pertaining thereto.  We
all tried to cheer and help him.  And the people of Richmond and of
the entire South were as kind and considerate as it was possible to
be.  Indeed, I think their great kindness tired him.  He appreciated
it all, was courteous, grateful, and polite, but he had been under
such a terrible strain for several years that he needed the time and
quiet to get back his strength of heart and mind.  All sorts and
conditions of people came to see him:  officers and soldiers from both
armies, statesmen, politicians, ministers of the Gospel, mothers and
wives to ask about husbands and sons of whom they had heard nothing.
To keep him from being overtaxed by this incessant stream of visitors,
we formed a sort of guard of the young men in the house, some of whom
took it by turns to keep the door and, if possible, turn strangers away.
My father was gentle, kind, and polite to all, and never willingly,
so far as I know, refused to see any one.

Dan lee, late of the Confederate States Navy, my first cousin, and
myself, one day had charge of the front door, when at it appeared a
Federal soldier, accompanied by a darkey carrying a large willow basket
filled to the brim with provisions of every kind.  The man was Irish
all over, and showed by his uniform and carriage that he was a
"regular," and not a volunteer.  On our asking him what he wanted, he
replied that he wanted to see General Lee, that he had heard down the
street the General and his family were suffering for lack of something
to eat, that he had been with "the Colonel" when he commanded the
Second Cavalry, and, as long as he had a cent, his old colonel should
not suffer.  My father, who had stepped into another room as he heard
the bell ring, hearing something of the conversation, came out into
the hall.  The old Irishman, as soon as he saw him, drew himself up
and saluted, and repeated to the General, with tears streaming down
his cheeks, what he had just said to us.  My father was very much
touched, thanked him heartily for his kindness and generosity, but
told him that he did not need the things he had brought and could not
take them.  This seemed to disappoint the old soldier greatly, and he
pleaded so hard to be allowed to present the supplies to his old
colonel, whom he believed to be in want of them, that at last my father
said that he would accept the basket and sent it to the hospital, for
the sick and wounded, who were really in great need.  Though he was
not satisfied, he submitted to this compromise, and then to our surprise
and dismay, in bidding the General good-bye, threw his arms around him
and was attempting to kiss him, when "Dan" and I interfered.  As he
was leaving, he said:

"Good-bye, Colonel!  God bless ye!  If I could have got over in time
I would have been with ye!"

A day or two after that, when "Dan" was doorkeeper, three Federal
officers, a colonel, a major, and a doctor, called and asked to see
General Lee.  They were shown into the parlour, presented their cards,
and said they desired to pay their respects as officers of the United
States Army.  When Dan went out with the three cards, he was told by
some one that my father was up stairs engaged with some other visitor,
so he returned and told them this and they departed.  When my father
came down, was shown the cards and told of the three visitors, he
was quite put out at Dan's not having brought him the cards at the
time and that afternoon mounted him on one of his horses and sent him
over to Manchester, where they were camped, to look up the three
officers and to tell them he would be glad to see them at any time
they might be pleased to call.  However, Dan failed to find them.

He had another visit at this time which affected him deeply.  Two
Confederate soldiers in very dilapidated clothing, worn and emaciated
in body, came to see him.  They said they had been selected from about
sixty other fellows, too ragged to come themselves, to offer him a home
in the mountains of Virginia.  The home was a good house and farm,
and near by was a defile, in some rugged hills, from which they could
defy the entire Federal Army.  They made this offer of a home and
their protection because there was a report that he was about to be
indicted for treason.  The General had to decline to go with them, but
the tears came into his eyes at this hearty exhibition of loyalty.

After being in Richmond a few days, and by the advice of my father
getting my parole from the United States Provost Marshal there, the
question as to what I should do came up.  My father told me that I
could go back to college if I desired and prepare myself for some
profession--that he had a little money which he would be willing and
glad to devote to the completion of my education.  I think he was
strongly in favour of my going back to college.  At the same time he
told me that, if I preferred it, I could take possession of my farm
land in King William County, which I had inherited from my grandfather,
Mr. Custis, and make my home there.  As there was little left of the
farm but the land, he thought he could arrange to help me build a
house and purchase stock and machinery.

My brother, General W. H. F. Lee, had already gone down to his place,
"The White House" in New Kent County, with Major John Lee, our first
cousin, had erected a shanty, and gone to work, breaking up land for
a corn crop, putting their cavalry horses to the plow.  As I thought
my father had use for any means he might have in caring for my mother
and sisters, and as I had this property, I determined to become a
farmer.  However, I did not decide positively, and in the meantime
it was thought best that I should join my brother and cousin at the
White House and help them make their crop of corn.  In returning to
Richmond, I had left at "Hickory Hill," General Wickham's place in
Hanover County, our horses and servants, taken with me from Lynchburg
to Greensboro and back.  So bidding all my friends and family good-bye,
I went by rail to "Hickory Hill" and started the next day with three
servants and about eight horses for New Kent, stopping the first night
at "Pampatike."  The next day I reached the White House, where the
reinforcements I brought with me were hailed with delight.

Though I have been a farmer from that day to this, I will say that the
crop of corn which we planted that summer, with ourselves and army
servants as laborers and our old cavalry horses as teams, and which
we did not finish planting until the 9th of June, was the best I ever



site stats


Site Copyright 2003-2018 Son of the South. For Questions or comments about this collection,


privacy policy

Are you Scared and Confused? Read My Snake Story, a story of hope and encouragement, to help you face your fears.