Civil War Overview
Civil War 1861
Civil War 1862
Civil War 1863
Civil War 1864
Civil War 1865
Civil War Battles
Robert E. Lee
Civil War Medicine
Civil War Links
Civil War Art
Republic of Texas
Civil War Gifts
Robert E. Lee Portrait
BRIG.-GEN. ROSECRANS, U.S.A.,
COMMANDING UNITED STATES FORCES IN WESTERN VIRGINIA.
[PHOTOGRAPHED FOR "HARPER'S WEEKLY."]
BRIG.-GEN. ROSECRANS, U.S.A.
GENERAL WILLIAM STARKE ROSECRANS,
whose portrait we give herewith, was born in the County of Delaware, State of
Ohio, on the 6th of September, 1819. His ancestors on the father's side were
originally from Amsterdam, and on the mother's of the family of the Pennsylvania
Hopkinses, one of whom signed the
Declaration of Independence. At the age of
eighteen, on his own direct application to the Secretary of War (then Hon. Joel
R. Poinsett), he was appointed cadet at West Point in the year 1837. He
graduated among the Five, and became brevet lieutenant of engineers in 1842. His
first military station was Fortress Monroe, where he remained one year first
assistant to Colonel R. E. De Russy. In August, 1843, he married Miss Ann Eliza
Hegeman, an accomplished and worthy representative of the old New York family of
that name, and was ordered to West Point to act as Assistant Professor of
Engineering and Natural Philosophy. After remaining four years at the Academy,
he was transferred to Newport, Rhode Island, and made Engineer-in-chief of the
fortifications at Fort Adams. During his stay there, from 1847 to 1853, he was
charged with surveys of New Bedford harbor and Taunton River, Massachusetts, and
plans of fortifications, which he executed to the satisfaction of the War
Department. in 1853 he was made constructing engineer at the Navy-yard,
Washington, District of Columbia. In November, 1853, he resigned his commission
in the army, and engaged in civil engineering and architecture in the city of
Cincinnati. In 1855 he accepted the superintendency of the Cannel Coal Company
of Coal River, Kanawha Court House, Virginia, and Presidency of the Coal River
Navigation Company, which he retained until April, 1857, when he removed to
Cincinnati, and engaged in the manufacture of coal oil and prussiate of potash.
This was his business when he was called by Major-General M'Clellan to act as
chief engineer and aid-de-camp, and thence, shortly after, promoted to a
Brigadier-Generalship in the regular army.
In all these various positions
General Rosecrans has exhibited the most untiring industry, indomitable energy,
and spotless integrity. None ever knew him whose respect and confidence he did
not command ; and the writer of this sketch could not repress a smile when,
among certain papers kindly submitted to his inspection by the amiable and
accomplished Mrs. Rosecrans, he lit upon a letter dated Washington, August 14,
1854, testifying to " Mr. Rosecrans's high abilities, integrity, and energy,"
and signed "Jefferson Davis."
Socially, the General unites to
the refinement of the gentleman the frank, free-spoken manner so taking among
our Western population. In person he is little above the middle height, rather
thin, and very erect, with no feature so striking as his broad forehead and
clear gray eyes. General Rosecrans is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
THESE Works, which we illustrate
on page 588, are situated at Cold Spring, Putnam County, and were established in
1817, by Gouverneur Kemble,
Esq. They were originally
intended for a cannon foundry ; but, from the irregular demand for ordnance,
have been from time to time greatly enlarged, and adapted to the manufacture of
and nearly all descriptions of
heavy machinery. The engines of the
steam-frigate Merrimac, and the pumping-engines
of the Jersey City Water-works, at Bellville, and of the Dry-dock at
Brooklyn Navy-yard, are from this
establishment. At present the demand for cannon and projectiles gives full
employment to most of the departments of the foundry; and a great variety of
these warlike appliances can be observed, as well as the moulds and other
preparations and facilities for casting and finishing them.
Among the specimens of ordnance
of the " smooth bore" kind, are the Columbiads and sea-coast mortars of the
army, and eleven and nine inch guns of the navy, of the pattern of
Captain Dahlgren. The rifled cannon, however,
hold a conspicuous place at the West Point Foundry. Among them are heavy cast
iron blocks for 80-pounder guns, to be finished at the
Washington Navy-yard. Preparations are made for
a still larger casting of the same kind, denominated a 150-pounder. These guns
are from plans furnished by Captain Dahlgren, and are for the naval service of
the United States.
The manufacture of the "Parrott"
rifled gun and projectiles is now very extensively carried on at the West Point
Foundry. They are made from the designs of Mr. R. P. Parrott, the present head
of the establishment, and are the result of some years of experiment and
observation. We understand that although Mr. Parrott by no means assumes to be
the originator of the idea of strengthening cast iron guns by hoops or bands of
wrought iron, he claims to have laid down a certain rule of proportion of the
parts of the two kinds of iron, as well as of the position of the wrought iron
reinforce which he employs, and particularly a new and very important mode of
uniting the reinforce to the body of the gun. These guns are denominated by the
weight of their respective projectiles—10, 20, and 30 pounders ; and others will
probably be made of larger power and dimensions.
Mr. Parrott's projectiles are of
two kinds. In both, the portion which is engaged in the grooves is at the butt,
or rear end of the projectile. For the 10-pounder this is of wrought iron, and
the projectile so mounted is known as Read's patent. It has been perfected and
fitted for service by improvements introduced and patented by Mr. Parrott. He
uses, however, for the larger calibres a peculiar ring of softer metal—a plan of
his own invention. This ring does not project beyond the body of the projectile
in any direction, thus affording great facility in loading.
Shells or hollow projectiles are
chiefly used, and can be exploded by the ordinary time or percussion fuse.
These rifled guns are now in
process of manufacture both for the army and naval service. About twenty-five
guns and seven thousand projectiles are made per week at this foundry.
PEACE with rebels? Peace with
Peace with pirates sword in hand?
Not till right and wrong change natures;
Not till God 'forsakes our land.
Peace there is not for the
Save upon the bended knees:
When the South is soundly
"lick-ed," Then 'twill do to prate of "peace!"
REBEL PRISONERS LEAVING BALTIMORE
FOR FORTRESS MONROE.—[SEE